Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Basics


I have known my husband for four years and we have been married for over one year. We currently live in a small town and have no children or pets (yet). My husband (SR) served three years active duty time then joined the Guard after finishing college. SR proposed to me a little less than a month before his deployment and we were married six days later in front of 18 friends and family. It is still the most beautiful wedding I have ever been too. We squeezed in a honeymoon and SR left soon after that and we made it through a year long deployment, coming out stronger than when we went in. Even before he came home though he was clearly depressed and hating all things "military." I supported him and he sought minimal help in country based on the time he had to spare but really just couldn't wait for it to all be over and get back home to me.

Now home for several months, he has been going to treatment, med management and especially weekly counseling. He has been diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety, and depression by four professionals and we are working with the VA on C&P to see what will happen next.

In the beginning, his PTSD was manageable but now it has been affecting our relationship. We are strong and loving and committed but our marriage is tested on a daily basis as I continue to exhaust from slipping more and more into the role of caregiver and less and less into the role of wife. I am confident we will overcome this as we have many other obstacles but in the mean time I will confide in you, blogger, to vent and just to keep track of this crazy new life.

1 comment:

  1. I am in your corner. Don't slip totally into the role of caregiver, to me that would seem like giving up the fight and I'm sure your husband would feel horrible if he thought or you were there for was to be his nursemaid. You made a solid committment to each other and I know, oh believe me I know it can feel like you are doing all the giving and him all the taking, but it will not be that way forever. Celebrate the victories in each day, no matter how small and vent away my dear, it really helps :-)

    ReplyDelete